My Photo
Name:
Location: North Mankato, Minnesota, United States

Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Learning With Laughter

We like people who make us laugh.  

There are numerous comedians who have been inspirations of mine through the years. When I was a child, my favorite characters were Scooby Doo and the Pink Panther.  As time passed, I found myself drawn to the Monty Python troupe, Steve Martin, and Chief Inspector Clouseau. They all made me laugh with their warped reasoning and innocent mistakes which always resulted in mayhem.

Years ago when I lived in North Dakota it was rare to see any live performance which resembled circus or vaudeville.  I began a video cassette collection of circuses and old silent screen performers.  If I couldn’t see them in person, I would watch them on the small screen in my living room.  I and my family would sit and laugh and applaud as we enjoyed these performances.

Now, as I travel, I look for shows that inspire and entertain.  In January 2019, I found myself in London with family as we celebrated the holidays.  We enjoyed sightseeing, but the highlights were seeing Zippo’s Holiday Circus and the stage show, “Circus 1903.”  We laughed. We cheered. We experienced some of that “childlike awe” once again. 

When I watch others perform, whether at a library or fair or tent or church, I note their timing, their expressions, their body language, the set-up and blow-off to their routines. I’m learning, sometimes subliminally. I’m trying to soak in their attitude and approach to entertainment.

In the late 1980’s I was in a physical comedy class taught by Glen “Frosty” Little. He said, “I cannot teach you timing.  I can demonstrate it to you…but I can’t teach you timing. You need to get the feel for it by observing it and then doing it yourself. That’s how you’ll get it.”  So, I continue to watch others perform to get that sense of timing which is used in drama, comedy and effective communication.

This last Springtime, I was in Springfield, MO doing a video shoot for a national kids ministry project.  My wife came along and we enjoyed a few days in Branson, Missouri watching shows and relaxing after a busy season. There is nothing that refreshes a person like a good extended series of laughter!  We were hosted at the Comedy Jamboree matinee show at the Grand Country Music Hall by some friends.

In the Comedy Jamboree, the “dynamic duo,” Andy Parks and his comedy partner “Apple Jack,” took the stage. These two visually reminded me of Laurel and Hardy due to their sizes, but the comedy was not subtle like L & H. These guys just flat out went for the funny bone.  Most of what they did was sketch comedy, reminiscent of Tim Conway and Harvey Korman on the Carol Burnett Show, portraying different characters throughout the two hour show. The jokes flowed. I found myself, not only smiling, but giggling through the entire show – and yes, a couple times I even had to wipe my eyes from laughter.


Good entertainment and good clowning takes work.  But, I encourage you to take time to laugh as you learn.  There is a scripture that says, “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain” (Deuteronomy 25:4)  What that means is that while the ox is working, it can still enjoy taking a few bites of the grain to satisfy itself.  In your work, take time to enjoy some of the fruit — the laughs — along the way.  Clowning is serious work, but it’s also full of joy and fun and laughter. So, laugh along the way! You’ll be a better person and better performer as a result.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home