Coulrophobia - Part One
A number of years ago I wrote an article that was shared in the World Clown Association's Clowning Around Magazine. I share it here for you...maybe it gives a little perspective during these days.
Coulrophobia
By
Randy Christensen
Yes, ladies and gentlemen. People have an official name for the fear of
clowns. It’s coulrophobia.
Recently Yahoo news reported that the majority of children are now
afraid of clowns. The headline article
titled, “Don't send in the clown”
from Wednesday,
January 16, 2008 states, “Children don't like clowns and even older kids are scared
of them.” This was concluded from the results of a poll at the University
of Sheffield in England. They were asking
children how to improve the atmosphere on hospital children's wards.
The
study, reported in the Nursing Standard magazine, found all the 250 patients
aged between four and 16 they quizzed disliked the use of clowns.
"We
found that clowns are universally disliked by children. Some found them quite
frightening and unknowable." (Reporting
by Michael Holden; Editing by Steve Addison)
Are you surprised by this
statement? It’s an interesting situation
we find ourselves in, isn’t it? We want
to share love and joy and playfulness with an audience in which many of them
are already scared of us. Do you remember the saying, “The whole world loves a
clown.” Well partner, it’s not true
anymore.
First of all -- let me share this: The survey done by the Nursing Standard magazine was specifically about a clown mural that was put up on a wall in the pediatrics area of a hospital. The painting was NOT one of joyful, cheerful or humorous clowns. So, when the survey asked if the children "liked" the clowns...they were not even talking about entertainers, but about the paintings. Yet, the magazine headline states that "kids don't like clowns anymore." I don't think that's an appropriate conclusion. Maybe they didn't like those murals.
Nonetheless, it is true that there is a growing concern when it comes to people being afraid of clowns. So what breeds this fear? What has brought on this significant mindset that hinders the relationship that an audience may have with the performer? Has this dislike always been there, or is this something new?
First of all -- let me share this: The survey done by the Nursing Standard magazine was specifically about a clown mural that was put up on a wall in the pediatrics area of a hospital. The painting was NOT one of joyful, cheerful or humorous clowns. So, when the survey asked if the children "liked" the clowns...they were not even talking about entertainers, but about the paintings. Yet, the magazine headline states that "kids don't like clowns anymore." I don't think that's an appropriate conclusion. Maybe they didn't like those murals.
Nonetheless, it is true that there is a growing concern when it comes to people being afraid of clowns. So what breeds this fear? What has brought on this significant mindset that hinders the relationship that an audience may have with the performer? Has this dislike always been there, or is this something new?
I propose that at some level,
there has always been a fear of clowns in many children. Here’s why:
Young children find security in “the
known” and are afraid of the unknown.
They feel safe when they have routine and consistency. Consider this young family’s plight. The parent needs to find a babysitter, but
the youngster is afraid of strangers.
The new babysitter already is at a loss because of the mindset of the
child. Simply, the only way the
babysitter may gain the trust of the preschooler is by being kind, loving,
soft-spoken, consistent, and inviting.
When I say “inviting,” I mean that the babysitter opens the door for the
child to come into a playful fun situation with the babysitter. But, the babysitter understands that the
child must move at the child’s own pace when the child is ready to step out and
trust this stranger
.
Clowns are strangers. Fact is, stranger than most folks a child has
ever seen. It’s normal for a child to
have insecurity when facing a new situation, or a new person. So, if a child appears to be afraid of you as a clown,
don’t be surprised by that.
One Christmas season I worked as
a mall Santa Claus. I could read the
eyes and body language of the children.
As some came closer to the front of the line, I knew their apprehension
at visiting the bearded fat man was growing too. Most had never met a person that dressed or
and looked like that in person. More
than one child cried. Most came and
spoke with me, but many decided to keep a “safe distance” and not sit on my
lap
.
The advantage I had was that most
parents spoke lovingly and encouraged their child sharing that Santa was a nice
jolly man that loved them. They spoke
very positively and tried to convince them that having a relationship with this
strange looking character would be rewarding.
I often hear the opposite from
parents as they introduce a clown.
“You’re not afraid of that scarey
clown are you!? Well, I know clowns are scarey, just stay away from him and he
probably won’t hurt you.” My! What a
different atmosphere that parent just created.
Make sure that when you are
introduced to a young crowd that the emcee does it with a smile and an enthusiastic
attitude. I recommend something like
this:
“Oh children, I have a very
special funny friend that I want you to meet.
He’s a very very nice friend of mine that loves to play, and laugh, and
have fun, and we get to play along with him today. Get ready to smile and laugh and clap along
as we welcome my good friend___________the clown!”
This is so much better than, “Now
kids, I understand that some of you are very afraid of clowns and I don’t blame
you…”
Many adults that I’ve spoken to about
their fear of clowns have shared that their first memory of being with a clown
included a strong sense of being “cornered” by the character. They felt intimidated by the close physical
presence of the clown. This is why it’s
important to not pursue a person.
Instead, make your presence softly known in a room, and then allow
people to come to you if they want to.
Don’t chase them! Don’t approach
children directly, but slide into a room and move away from the door so that
people feel like they do have an exit if they need one. Don’t block their only way out of the room!
Also consider that a child may
feel very awkward if he feels that the clown expects him to do something. Often the child does not know what that
“something” is. This causes a feeling of
apprehension in the child.
Examine if your make-up design is
frightening. Fact is, there are some
clowns whose appearance scares me! And
I’ve been a clown over twenty-five years!
Through the centuries, there has
been something a bit disconcerting about this odd character we call clown.
In R. Thomas Steele’s book “1000
Clowns: More or Less”, he writes:
Behind the guffaws it is the
clown’s more sinister side that fascinates and terrifies many. The mystery of what lurks underneath the
makeup and costumes cannot be ignored.
Such fears, compounded by disturbing news coverage of flagrant bank
robberies, burglaries, and other mayhem perpetrated by criminals in clown
clothing, have spawned many a scenario in Hollywood. …For many children, clowns smack of panic,
anxiety, and abject fear. …There is a
well-documented neurotic fear of clowns…sparked by a basic suspicion that grown
people in strange clothes and weird makeup may, in fact, be more than just
strange. After all, serial killer and
registered clown John Wayne Gacy meant it literally when he said, ‘You know,
clowns can get away with murder.’”
It’s true that many in America
have a strange enjoyment of shock humor.
Some feel entertained by graphic torture in sicko movies. As we know, Stephen King has not done clowns
any favor by putting out his movie, “It.”
Unfortunately, I’ve had young children tell me they are afraid of clowns
because they watched “It”. It is mind
boggling for me to believe that parents would allow young children to watch
this “R” rated movie. Those types of
movies are made to do one thing—put fear into people. So, it’s not a surprise that more people are
afraid of clowns because of the entertainment industry’s perversion of clean comedy characters. It’s part of our culture. I wish it wasn’t, but it is.
Fact is, think about the last
four or five times you saw a clown depicted in media. Was it positive, or a negative
portrayal?
So, what can we do? I propose this: Don’t scare people! Many have coulrophobia anyway. Don’t give them a reason to be afraid of
you. Most people will decide if they are
frightened or not in the first 10 seconds they see you. So, here are some key things to consider when
entering an area:
1. Move slowly – Fast erratic
movements are unpredictable. So, when
entering an area, move slowly.
2. Speak softly—Don’t enter with
a blast of a horn or yelling. That
startles people. Be gentle.
3. Give space—Allow people more
personal space than normal. If they want
to talk with you, they will come to you.
4. Use misdirection—Magician’s
draw people’s attention to where they want the audience to look. You may need to draw children’s attention
away from you and to something else—like a puppet, or juggling balls, or soap
bubbles, etc. As they enjoy watching this
other activity, they have time to get used to you being there. If the activity is fun, they will believe YOU
are fun.
5. Gain permission—Always ask
people if they want to visit. Ask permission to enter their room. If not, don’t be offended. I recommend you say something like, “That’s
alright, my cousin Larry called and he says he has my drum…and I gotta beat
it!” Then walk away. Leave them laughing!
6. Be introduced by a positive person in a
positive way.
7. Receive honest feedback about your make-up
design. Find a pro that can help you. A
great place to do this is at conventions and clown alleys. I’m sure that many of the columnists in this
magazine would be willing to give you feedback if you sent pictures. I know that I would be willing to do that.
Now, I understand that clowns
work in different venues, and the idea of moving slowly and speaking softly
simply doesn’t work in a circus setting.
But, in a circus ring the clown is usually at least fifteen feet away
from the closest audience member. A
child seated in row 38, section G isn’t anywhere near a clown. The circus clown and stage clown will live by
different rules than the close up performer.
Don’t be discouraged that some
people have had poor experiences, or have been only given bad information about
clowns. There still are people out there
who are excited about engaging your clown. What we must do is go out there and
one by one show people that clowns are loving and not hurting, good and not
evil, friendly and not wicked, nurturing and not perverted, fun and not
frightening.

2 Comments:
Awesome story, Randy! I can relate to some of the things you shared, thanks for blogging this.
bravo randy very good advice and a great article
Post a Comment
<< Home