My Photo
Name:
Location: North Mankato, Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Trick or Technique?

By Randy Christensen (in 2011)

Most of my programs are done as a one man variety arts show.  I perform magical illusions, mime, ventriloquism, comedy mime, music and juggling regularly in my programs.

An often heard question is, “How did you do that?”  Sometimes that curious parent will come to me and ask with a wry grin, “Okay, what’s the trick?”

Sometimes there is a “trick” to it: A secret knowledge or a secret maneuver that they could not perceive. I never tell them what it is.  I usually respond by acknowledging their question as a compliment.  I say, “That was really cool, wasn’t it?”  And then I smile really big. “I’m glad you liked it.”  So, I do not answer the question but just step past it by stating that I had fun with them too. 

Rarely, in my performance, is there a “trick” to what I do.  But, there is technique. And that takes a lot of practice.  With magic tricks, usually the audience enjoys the presentation, not because of the “trick” (the secret move) but because of the way it was presented. That also has to do with technique.

A number of years ago I purchased a book on Circus Skills.  It was interesting to read about all of the different techniques in performing the acts.  There was even a section on “Fire Eating.”  It was the shortest section in the book.  It said, “Never learn fire eating from a book. Find an expert and learn the technique from him.”

While watching a television talent show, a friend asked me about a sword swallower we were viewing.  It was an amazing act.  She asked, “What’s the trick?”  I answered that one.  “There is no trick.  But, there’s a lot of technique!”  She was amazed, as I am, that there was no trick...but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t an incredible amount of training, practice and precision.  Actually, it takes MORE to do a performance well if there is NOT a trick to it.  Technique and talent walk hand in hand and a person does not develop them without study and practice.
 
A quote is posted on the wall in the “clowning area” of my house.  It’s right over my treadmill.  It says, “Talent is wanting something bad enough to work for it.”  It motivates me.  I understand that there is no “trick” to being a talented performer.  Technique is developed over invested time.

Jugglers understand that one does not start with seven balls, or six, or five , or three.  A juggler begins with one ball.  One.  If a person cannot control one, he will never be able to control more than one.  Begin with one and learn the technique.

A proverb states, “Do not despise humble beginnings.”  Start small and add to your array of talent.  Take time to master the technique. That only happens as one takes time to practice multiple times.  It is worth the investment.   There is rarely a “trick to it.” But, great performers have polished their technique.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home