My Photo
Name:
Location: North Mankato, Minnesota, United States

Friday, May 11, 2012

Cirque Du Soliel!

On the last Friday of April, Don B(ursell) and I had the joy of doing a pre-event promotional appearance for the QUIDAM show from Cirque Du Soliel. It was a fun time to climb aboard their promotional bus, hang out a bit with other staff, and then stiltwalk, juggle and unicycle to help promote the upcoming QUIDAM show in Duluth, MN. The people we worked with were very personable, accommodating, and professional.

For years, the QUIDAM show was one of my favorite Cirque Du Soliel shows. Though each has it's own flavor, Cirque Du Soliel's presentations are known to set the bar high for any type of circus theater presentation. Actually, they are the first organization that I'm even really aware of doing "circus theater" in these modern days. It's kind of like watching a cross between a Broadway show (costuming and lighting and live music), with world-class gymnastics/circus skills, and "Star Wars."

Why do I say "Star Wars?" Because Star Wars took you into an alternate reality, where there were different creatures you've never seen before, and also a real sense of adventure. Cirque Du Soleil gives that feel. (Note, there are no "animal acts," but at times people play the roles of animals.)

Years ago I was inspired to do something like this in the "church world" -- something that would touch the heart, inspire the soul, and bring joy to the onlooker. I'm thinking, if anyone should be doing that, the Christian church should be doing that! I was inspired to pull together a show -- which eventually became known as "Cirque Imaginings" because a little girl is the central character...and in her adventure she ends up imagining all kinds of wonderful scenarios which are acted out upon stage. We did two different tours of this show and had standing ovation responses every performance.

We hope to offer this again to audiences in the near future (...why the wait? ...well...money, money, money...) It's always a joy to work with my friend, Don, and the Cirque Du Soliel event was something that I'll cherish for years to come since I've been so impacted by their professional approach and their ability to connect with and inspire audiences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home