Being A Natural
by Randy Christensen
Sometime ago, after viewing one of my performances an observer offered a compliment, “You’re such a natural!” I thanked her, but didn’t stop with that. I shared, “I’m glad that after seventeen years of practice that it’s starting to look natural!”
Great performers may make hard routines look simple. A while back my wife and I enjoyed the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Celebration featuring the Rockettes. Though each segment of the performance was mesmerizingly entertaining, I won’t begin to think that this flawless performance was pulled off without countless hours of planning and practice. Yes, they made it look “natural,” but that didn’t mean they hadn’t made an incredible time investment previous to their performance.
I recently read, “Talent is wanting something bad enough to work for it.” Another quote: “Success is rarely acheived by many because it’s often dressed up in perspiration and looks like work!” Another favorite that’s posted in my office: “Anything worthwhile takes a while.”
Legendary golfer Arnold Palmer made an incredible shot. A commentator spoke to him later and mentioned that Palmer had been lucky. Palmer responded, “That’s true, but you know, it seems to me that the more I practice the luckier I get.” Arnold Palmer has swung each golf club thousands of times. What was first awkward has become “natural.” His chances of success increased with every practice stroke taken.
You too will benefit from persistent practice in skills work, in character work, in timing. Though your audience may not understand the sacrifices and time investment it takes to get you to a heightened performance level, it is worth the effort! One of the highest compliments you will receive is when your audience says, “You’re a natural.” Set your personal standards high for the sake of your audience, for the sake of the art, for the sake of our Lord. It’s time to practice so you can “be a natural!”
Sometime ago, after viewing one of my performances an observer offered a compliment, “You’re such a natural!” I thanked her, but didn’t stop with that. I shared, “I’m glad that after seventeen years of practice that it’s starting to look natural!”
Great performers may make hard routines look simple. A while back my wife and I enjoyed the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Celebration featuring the Rockettes. Though each segment of the performance was mesmerizingly entertaining, I won’t begin to think that this flawless performance was pulled off without countless hours of planning and practice. Yes, they made it look “natural,” but that didn’t mean they hadn’t made an incredible time investment previous to their performance.
I recently read, “Talent is wanting something bad enough to work for it.” Another quote: “Success is rarely acheived by many because it’s often dressed up in perspiration and looks like work!” Another favorite that’s posted in my office: “Anything worthwhile takes a while.”
Legendary golfer Arnold Palmer made an incredible shot. A commentator spoke to him later and mentioned that Palmer had been lucky. Palmer responded, “That’s true, but you know, it seems to me that the more I practice the luckier I get.” Arnold Palmer has swung each golf club thousands of times. What was first awkward has become “natural.” His chances of success increased with every practice stroke taken.
You too will benefit from persistent practice in skills work, in character work, in timing. Though your audience may not understand the sacrifices and time investment it takes to get you to a heightened performance level, it is worth the effort! One of the highest compliments you will receive is when your audience says, “You’re a natural.” Set your personal standards high for the sake of your audience, for the sake of the art, for the sake of our Lord. It’s time to practice so you can “be a natural!”
Labels: clown development
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home